How do you password protect a PDF?
Here’s how to use our free online tool to password protect your PDF:
- Open the Password protect PDF tool
- Click the "Choose File" button
- Select the PDF you want to convert on your computer, and click "Open"
- After loading your file, enter a password of your choice
- Your new, password-protected PDF file will download directly to your browser
If you decide to use Adobe Acrobat instead, here are some quick instructions on how to password protect your PDF:
- Open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat
- Click on "Tools" > "Protect" > "Encrypt" > "Encrypt with Password"
- Tick "Require a Password to Open the Document
- Type the password you want
In addition, you can select your preferred Acrobat version compatibility which comes with specific encryptions:
- "Acrobat 6.0 and Later" encrypts the PDF document using 128-bit RC4
- "Acrobat 7.0 And Later" encrypts the PDF document using the AES encryption algorithm with a 128-bit key size
- "Acrobat X And Later" encrypts the PDF document using 256-bit AES