Can you insert a PDF into Word?
Yes, you can insert a PDF into Word. Microsoft makes it easy to import PDFs into Word docs.
Just remember that some file types aren’t compatible with Word. Before following the steps outlined below, use a PDF converter to ensure you actually have a PDF to insert into your Word document.
1. How to add a PDF to a Word document as an “Object”
Here’s how to add a PDF to Word in five clicks:
- Click the “Insert” dropdown in the main menu
- Click “Object”
- Select “From File” (Mac) / “Browse” (Windows)
- Locate the PDF file you want to import
- “Insert” the PDF
Whether you’re on macOS or Windows, adding a PDF to Word begins with the “Insert” dropdown. On both operating systems, simply click “Insert” and then select “Object”.
On Windows, in the “Create from File” tab, you have the option to click the check box for “Link to File” and “Display as Icon”. Depending on what you want, you can check those boxes or leave them blank, then simply click “Browse” to find the PDF you want to put into Word.
On Mac, click “From File”, and track down the PDF you’d like to import.
In both scenarios, you’ve successfully imported a static PDF that can be modified within Word.
2. How to insert PDF into Word as a “Picture”
For Mac users
Inserting a PDF into Word as a picture is easier on Mac than on Windows.
- Click the “Insert” dropdown from the Microsoft Word menu
- Hover over “Pictures” (which should be at the top of the dropdown)
- Click “Picture from File”
- Find the PDF you want to import
- Click “Insert”
For Windows users
If you want to add a PDF to a Word document as a picture on Windows, you need to convert your PDF to an image file first.
Many people prefer to convert PDF to JPG because the file-size to quality ratio is acceptable, but you can try turning your PDF to PNG if you’re looking for a higher resolution image.
Once your PDF is in an image file format, open your Word doc. From this point, all you need to do is the following:
- Click “Insert” in the menu
- Click on the “Picture” icon
- Find your newly converted image file
- “Insert” it into the document
3. How to import a PDF into Word that you can edit
Finally, if you’re looking to actually edit your PDF within Word, all you need to do is this:
- Click “File”
- Click “Open”
- Select the PDF you want to edit
- “Open” it within Word
The most up-to-date version of Microsoft Word then converts your PDF directly into an editable Word document. Pretty handy stuff, Bill Gates!